The company nowcast arose from a research group headed by Prof. Hans-Dieter Betz at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University. The further research and expert dialog with research institutions around the world continue intensively. For nowcast, the technical analysis of lightning data, its scientific penetration and the implementation in practice of the improvements derived constitute a substantial component of its business operations.
The most important scientific partners include:
- Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich
- German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- Departments of Physics and Astronomy / University of Mississippi
- CNR (National Research Council), Italy
- University of Barcelona
- University of Grenoble
- Onera (French Research Center for Aviation and Aerospace)
- Meteorological services of Hungary, Catalonia, Basque Country
- LERMA (Paris)
- Meteorological observatory in Athens
The research results are regularly presented at international conferences or published in scientific publications.
In addition, LINET is often deployed throughout the world as a research measurement network. The German Aerospace Center DLR also regularly uses its own LINET lightning-measurement network in comparison measurements with other systems in Europe, Brazil, Africa and Australia. With the aid of the insights gleaned, nowcast continuously works on the improvement of its products and algorithms.